What Is Soft Booking, and Why Would You Need It?
Soft Booking is Kobiton’s solution to a device reservation system that balances the need for keeping devices retained for continual testing use with the benefit of having a pool of available devices ready for immediate use by testers.
You can use Soft Booking to retain a device for several hours at a time, thus removing the possibility of the device being retained by another user between your testing sessions. If you have multiple tests you would like to perform efficiently against a single device, or a single test you want to run repeatedly, Soft Booking provides you with an extended time window to reserve or “book” a device for use.
Please note that this feature is only available for devices in your private/local device pool, not Kobiton’s public device pool. This feature is for immediate real-time use and cannot be used to reserve a device days or weeks ahead of time.
Soft Booking can retain a device for the following time periods:
- 1 hour
- 2 hours
- 4 hours
- 8 hours
- 16 hours
- 24 hours
How to Use Soft Booking
1. Within your Kobiton portal, navigate to the Devices page, then navigate to the Private & Local Devices tab.
2. Choose the device you want to book and click the ellipses (...) button in the device box.
3. You are now viewing the device details pop-out box of your selected device. At the bottom of this box is a drop-down menu currently displaying “Retain”. This is the Soft Booking menu button.
4. Click the dropdown button and the Soft Booking times will be displayed. Click the desired amount of time to retain the device.
5. Once you click your desired retention time, the device is immediately removed from the Available Devices list and is reserved under your name. The device’s change in status and a timer showing the remaining time in your reservation are displayed in the lower-left corner of the device details pop-out box. The time will continue to count down until your reservation window is completed, at which time the device will automatically return to the Available Devices pool.
6. If at any time you wish to cancel your reservation, click the X icon in the Retained box. You will be asked to confirm your cancellation before continuing.
As always, if you have any questions or issues, please submit a support ticket at support.kobiton.com.